Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

central california/point conception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
582 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 14, 24 5:04 pm    central california/point conception Reply with quote

Im down here, so far only kited Jalama......which is sick. Im seeing an ikite sensor on point conception, that looks like bigger wind (maybe even year round wind). Im not finding anything on the googler about it related to kiting. Anyone know anything about it? Or a good place to look?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
891 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Oct 15, 24 8:51 am     Reply with quote

The large cattle ranch (aka Bixby Ranch) encompassing Point Conception, Government Point, Perkos, and Cojo Point is off limits to public access by land. The ocean and surf can be accessed by a long boat ride from Gaviota to the south. As of 2018 the Bixby Ranch was purchased by the Nature Conservancy through a large donation to protect the insanely beautiful coastline and land from hungry developers. Southeast of the Bixby Ranch is the infamous Hollister Ranch which has been subdivided into large parcels of mini-ranches that are owned by very wealthy people that are not interested in sharing their coast loaded with world class surf shots with the public.

Both Bixby and Hollister Ranches have incredible kiting and other wind sports locations that would make any enthusiast drool at the possibility of sampling the goods. I have been fortunate to have surfed many of the spots in both ranches, but never had the chance to sail or kite the places. I did get to witness George Greenough and a few of his other ranch buddies surfsailing Cojo Point (Bixby Ranch spot) back in 1983 which completely blew my mind and showed me the light of windsurfing side-off shore wind combined with ruler edge point break perfection. Needless to say I immediately jumped into windsurfing as an alternative to surfing with the crowds of California.

If somehow you can get an exclusive invite from a well connected friend to go into the two ranches for surfing or windsporting, then just do it.

https://santaynezvalleystar.com/nature-conservancy-buys-historic-bixby-ranch/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: