Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event site launching off the grass yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
472 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 08, 24 12:58 pm    Event site launching off the grass yet? Reply with quote

Is it that time again?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1299 Posts
Da Hood & Da Wood
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 08, 24 7:00 pm     Reply with quote

For wings it is... Razz

fatstixs

Since 02 Aug 2007
58 Posts
The Gorge

PostMon Sep 09, 24 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

Launching off the Event Site grass is now in play again!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
284 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 09, 24 9:14 pm    Event Site Grass vs. ROCKS Reply with quote

Yay!! The lawn is extra nice this year thanks to some watering - thx Doug and a friendly Mother Nature...

So about those ROCKS tho...

Anybody else motivated to do something? The Big Rocks are semi dangerous for wayward inbound or outbound kite lines, the next 15-20 yards of rocks seem to be just the right amount of sharp and pokey with the perfect amount of river slime algae to make them also slippery as hell.

For about the price of everyone buying a bootie or water shoe we could remove the rocks in favor of pea gravel or sand or BOTH - I know places like Floras Lake have turf mats that go right into the water...

I mean let's up our game people - Who's IN?

this message brought to you by:
People for a SMOOTHER GORGE Experience

Mc

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
49 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostTue Sep 10, 24 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm down to plan something to make the launch a little less sketchy. Do we need permission from the Port? From Doug?

Then what to do? I think the pea gravel idea is great. Maybe a gravel ramp into the water right about the mid point? And maybe to start with something easy, we could at least trim the little shrubs that seem to snag everyone's lines?

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
796 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Sep 10, 24 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I've noticed that all the big rocks are right in the middle where the kites launch and land. It is smaller pea gravel on the far west end for windsurf and wing launching and somewhat sandy on the far east (tomahawk beach) near the jetty where the kids like to play.
I would suggest joining the CGW^2 if you aren't already a member and expressing your concerns to them. They are in the best position to communicate with the port and get things done to benefit all of the event site users. They could probably schedule an official work party to improve the entire launch with volunteer labor.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-49799.html

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-48965.html

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
65 Posts

PostWed Sep 11, 24 6:33 pm    Event site Reply with quote

Years ago the Port put in those boulders and then put pebble rock over of topi it only took a couple of years to erode away I think those boulders need to stay to help with erosion. May see if the port will fill in with more dirt and pebble rock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: