Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Travel Ins rec?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1831 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 24, 24 9:24 am    Travel Ins rec? Reply with quote

Looking for trip cost reimbursement on otherwise non-refundable expenses (lodging/air) and med evacuation. Seems like many of the options are fly by night shops that take your money, but put up all kinds of hurdles when/if one files a claim.

Mexico

Thanks,
Eric

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
245 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat Aug 24, 24 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

can't say i ever filed a claim, but ... watch out for excluded activities and needing to buy a rider for action sports.

i have used https://www.worldnomads.com/usa/travel-insurance/activities/surfing
i think this is underwritten by nationwide insurance.

j

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1831 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 24, 24 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks like one can add lots of adventure sports to the mix with this option.

kd5evn

Since 21 Aug 2020
4 Posts

Kook

PostSat Aug 24, 24 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

We were recommended Chubb Passport 360 by our insurance agent. https://www.chubb.com/us-en/individuals-families/clients/passport-360-coverage.html

It went untested.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4233 Posts
Camas
Site Lackey

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 27, 24 10:07 am     Reply with quote

I used the insurance on the Alaska Airlines website last year, and needed to make a claim as I was stranded in Baja--Oh No! Very Happy --for an extra five days due to the big snow/ice storm here in Portland. Supposedly, it covered lodging, transportation and food while I was stranded. "Cool!" I thought. It did cover all of those things, but there was a $300 limit--total, not per day--for all of that combined hidden in the fine print. So the claim was easy, but I only got a fraction of my expenses reimbursed.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
572 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 27, 24 10:27 am     Reply with quote

ive had some 'fine print' experiences with add'l insurance as well. Im glad this topic/thread came up, good info and lots to consider

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
49 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostWed Aug 28, 24 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

Check out squaremouth.com. I just found out about this website while browsing Reddit. It's a travel insurance comparison engine that works with dozens of reputable insurance companies to help you choose the travel insurance that works best for your situation. Basically it's a Kayak.com for travel insurance. Squaremouth gets a 4.8 star rating on Trustpilot. I plan on using it for my own winter travels.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1831 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 28, 24 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

Unfortunate, if you search out independent ratings on several of the insurance carriers they suggest you come up with some very different, and largely negative ratings.

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
49 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostThu Aug 29, 24 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah I think that's kind of the nature of travel insurance, or really any kind of insurance. I've gone with some well known travel insurance names in the past - Allianz, American Express, etc. They were fine but I've never had to test them so I have no idea whether they were actually "good". They're all great in accepting your application and money, lol.

Whatever you're thinking of choosing, I would do a search on Reddit travel groups for people who have filed claims. You will inevitably find negative reviews - I don't think anyone actually likes their insurance company when they need to file - but probably the best bet is to go with the insurance provider that eventually comes through even if they make you go through lots of hassle.

LBG

Since 02 Oct 2019
2 Posts

PostSat Aug 31, 24 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Try AXA, Good rates, World wide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: