Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Mast length for winging Floras Lake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
277 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 31, 24 9:10 am    Mast length for winging Floras Lake Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting some Floras Lake wing days in next month. I kite foiled there last year with a 92cm mast and it was okay, but had to wade out pretty far. I'm assuming wing will need even a little more space for a white belt like myself. Any thoughts on if an 82cm will be short enough? 72cm seems too short, but I am a wing noob (kiting for 22 years though). I don't really want to buy another mast just for a couple of days at Floras Lake, but I could talk myself into needing for SPI later on...

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
657 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Jul 31, 24 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

If you launch near the school rather than the beach, the water is deep enough about 10 yards out. At least that where it worked for me with a 95 cm mast last summer. I was a "whitebelt" back then also. Very Happy The problem with the longer mast is that you can only go about 3/4 across before it get shallow again. So it forces you to work on your turns.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
106 Posts
Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostWed Jul 31, 24 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

I've used a 95cm and am also a white belt. As stated by Blaze, just stay downwind of the school and away from the edges. It's best to stay away from the kiters, anyway.

Screenshot_20240731-214148~2.png 

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
889 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostThu Aug 01, 24 8:27 am     Reply with quote

Foiling at Floras Lake has another issue beyond the shallow water. The seaweed grows very quickly and gets really thick in summer with the warm water and sunshine. It can make foiling almost impossible if you find yourself stuck in a part of the lake where it is thick. Crying or Very sad

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
422 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 01, 24 8:43 am     Reply with quote

How do you get down to the school area? Just walk your rigging down the lake edge from the day use area at the north end? Or do you start there and work your way downwind?

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
277 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 02, 24 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! The green area is where I kited last year and it was pretty good on a 92cm. I was thinking I'd be sinking the mast a little more on a wing though. I'll give it a go with what I have! Wish me luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: