Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Favourite PNW Wave Kite?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
george

Since 13 May 2012
33 Posts

PostSat Jul 27, 24 7:19 am    Favourite PNW Wave Kite? Reply with quote

Hey just wondering what most here prefer in the ocean on a typical 20-25kt side on day? Using a strapless surfboard.

I’ve read different opinions re. a pure wave kite vs a bit of a hybrid that perhaps doesn’t sit so deep and turns a bit better.

I know there are many here that have a lot of experience and wisdom in these conditions.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
889 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Jul 27, 24 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Kind of a loaded question as everyone is going to tell you their kite is the best just like the manufacturers will do. Plus, most people are loyal to their favorite brand and will rave about how good their kite is for everything.

Without mentioning any brands or models, the best wave kite for surfing breaking ocean waves needs to check all the boxes for:

*Excellent drifting downwind
*Turns fast
*Charges up wind
*Lots of power, but depowers nicely
*Solid structure to minimize deformation in dirty and gusty wind
*Lightweight
*Durable enough to take a beating in the surf
*Lots of range with wind speeds

Personally, what is most important to me are the first five points listed above.
But, everyone is different so just go with what feels good and you are comfortable with for kitesurfing.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
572 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jul 27, 24 11:08 am     Reply with quote

id add to 'windians' list with a couple of questions:

- what kind of board are you going to ride
- are you planning to point sail, downwind, or skatepark/manzanita style

Twin tip prolly means you're not trying to surf down the face/down the line. Prolly more like skatepark/manzo style. Id say whatever you like in the gorge, you'll prolly like for this

HIgh volume surfboard is my fav for downwinders, keeps me floating more. On downwinders, i like just enough kite to pull me, something floaty. Single struts fly pretty well without needing much input...in my experience, but I've only flown a couple

The LC crew at Roads End are mostly Neo's & SST's Those dudes get down. Those guys make point sailing look sick. So, regular ass surfboard for point sailing, one of the surf specific kites from a brand you like and a surfboard that can turn turn turn

your mileage may vary. Im sure we'd all like to hear what you decide, reading NWKite beats working or chores.

george

Since 13 May 2012
33 Posts

PostSat Jul 27, 24 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

Windian, it’s been a while, I hope to get back down there soon!

Thanks for the replies. Thinking of manzanita days, was using OR razors and most recently a 6m Rise but very old. It’s a high wind freestyle kind of kite, turns and loops fast, but doesn’t really drift so well. But it’s been functional.

Using a regular kite surfboard or a small libtech board, and really just want to ride a few waves, no jumping or tricks.

But these are not the same waves I’m surf surfing. Mushy, wind swell, short period. Side on or cross on winds. Will be at least 20kts +. So you know, just trying to enjoy an afternoon between surf sessions. Not necessarily looking for a brand recommendation, but more do you use a wave/surf kite or hybrid/freestyle as the waves aren’t really glassy with offshore winds. You guys know what the conditions are, blowing sand off the beach with head high kinda crappy waves, occasionally an open face, lol. But I love it!

Happy with a brand rec too, but more a style of kite. Anyone use a one strut? Thanks again!

GorgeKite.com

Since 17 Mar 2008
226 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSat Jul 27, 24 1:18 pm    Surfboard in waves Reply with quote

Can't beat a grom size. Don't need all the volume with a kite in air.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2083 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Jul 27, 24 5:18 pm    Ozone REO Reply with quote

Ozone REO.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
277 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 29, 24 9:18 am    Re: Ozone REO Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Ozone REO.

Plus one on the REO
OR aluula Roam is legit too. I've heard very good things about the Duotone Neo's from very good riders.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Jul 30, 24 7:41 pm     Reply with quote

REO is/was the only contemporary kite I could fly unhooked.
But now that I wing I am always unhooked.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1154 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Sep 05, 24 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

Ozone Reo is the kite that all the other designers scratch their heads and wonder why it is so amazing. I own Reos and have friends who work for other brands. They ask me to ride mine to figure out what the need to do in order to try and make a comparable kite. So far they haven’t had made anything quite like it. There are a lot of other good ones but not quite as good as the Reo.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: