Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Water Level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
MattWave

Since 05 Mar 2018
19 Posts

PostTue Jul 16, 24 3:34 pm    Water Level Reply with quote

Anyone know of a website where you can check what Dams are doing in re to releasing water or holding? Trying to gauge Sandbar

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
572 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 16, 24 6:55 pm     Reply with quote

The ikite forecast for the gorge details the 'river flow rate' at the dalles (maybe thats the dam?).

TheGorgeIsMyGym has something similar, it might be the exact same info.

might be easier for you to check out some of the webcams, though it seems like the last couple times ive looked that lots are offline or have angles that are different than they used to be.

I havent really ever used this info, so im just pointing out what ive glanced. hope this helps, but also call out if this isnt the right info.....so that everyone else knows too

JackAubrey

Since 18 Sep 2021
6 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 17, 24 6:35 am     Reply with quote

This link gives height at The Dalles.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/14105700/#parameterCode=00065&period=P7D&showMedian=false
I have USGS link for HR also, but it hasn't worked in quite some time.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
572 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 17, 24 7:30 am     Reply with quote

JackAubrey wrote:
This link gives height at The Dalles.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/14105700/#parameterCode=00065&period=P7D&showMedian=false
I have USGS link for HR also, but it hasn't worked in quite some time.

that is pretty killer. does anyone know some approximate heights that would put ES Sandbar/Lyle Sandbar below water, or just small and not a place to launch?

MattWave

Since 05 Mar 2018
19 Posts

PostWed Jul 17, 24 10:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks. I’m just looking for a way to know when Sandbar will be big or small in re to height

JackAubrey

Since 18 Sep 2021
6 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 17, 24 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

that is pretty killer. does anyone know some approximate heights that would put ES Sandbar/Lyle Sandbar below water, or just small and not a place to launch?[/quote]

I'm not certain, but someone told me a couple years ago that 77 feet or more put the ES sandbar under water. I think that's a bit low based on my observations. I think it's closer to 80 feet. I don't know about Lyle but I assume it is similar. As I mentioned, the gauge measurement used to work for HR, and when it was working it seemed to match the one at The Dalles. This is only my third year living here in the Gorge. When I was new, I looked at every piece of info I could find.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
572 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 17, 24 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
I'm not certain, but someone told me a couple years ago that 77 feet or more put the ES sandbar under water. I think that's a bit low based on my observations. I think it's closer to 80 feet. I don't know about Lyle but I assume it is similar. As I mentioned, the gauge measurement used to work for HR, and when it was working it seemed to match the one at The Dalles. This is only my third year living here in the Gorge. When I was new, I looked at every piece of info I could find.

id imagine its also kinda dynamic, i mean, im sure that each of the sandbars change site/height and are further effected by the tributaries (klickitat & hood river) that build them.

i guess this is the shit people do when they cant ride.....i wish i was riding

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
472 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 17, 24 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

I used to have bookmarked websites that gave water heights at HR and other Columbia river sensors. Seems like it was a US gov. Site. It had a map you could use to pick the sites. All kinds of cool info like, river levels, flow, and water temps.

Now I can’t find it.

If I recall, 76’ is about average sandbar. Down to 73’ and the white salmon sand bar starts to show. 80’ and everything is underwater.

Seems like we did not get the usual couple of weeks of very high water this spring. After that levels seem to remain steady, as the Corps controls the levels.

lotsoluck

Since 02 Jun 2018
20 Posts
gorge

PostWed Jul 17, 24 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/14113290/#parameterCode=00065&period=P7D&showMedian=false
whoops I see someone has already provided this info

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1299 Posts
Da Hood & Da Wood
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 17, 24 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

I think you'll find there are many coordinated dynamics between the dams, including vessel passage (which transfers large amounts of water downstream), and electricity demand (which can increase the need for flow to generate power).

Hydro dams are also strategically important to the grid because they 'black start', meaning generate power instantly, so are sometimes tapped into when nearby wind or gas plants (i.e., Boardman's combined-cycle generator) unexpectedly fail to meet output schedules.

So my guess is if you're trying to plan your kiting sessions around sandbar size, there's probably not a calendar for that.

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
150 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 20, 24 6:31 am    picture on victortheinflictor.com Reply with quote

The easiest way to know the river level is look at the DAILY PICTURE I post from my porch of the LYLE sandbar... pictures never lie.. hit those donation buttons.. I work hard every morning...not begging...earning... thanks, victortheinflictor.com

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1831 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 20, 24 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Scroll down to Hood River Spit:

https://www.columbiarivergorge.info/webcams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: