Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

a Summer Gorge Mëtal Postcard Sumbitches
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
330 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostFri Jul 12, 24 1:08 pm    a Summer Gorge Mëtal Postcard Sumbitches Reply with quote

I’ve reached my grumpy daze of gorge summer-dum... There’s a magical place called Hood River, Oregon where you can wind-fin-foil-kite-paddle-surf and be recognized as a full blown outdoor amazing dude… Just roll in with your Sprinter towing your jet ski with the custom racks for bikes and one wheels and surf skis and have your wife copilot thumbs up your full adventure middle age wet dream with the dog inside and the kids at The Hook. Clank custom limited release beers just downwind of the poop plant. You’ve made-it. Get up there on that life podium and let loose with the champagne bottle because instagram is gonna love this moment and you.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1299 Posts
Da Hood & Da Wood
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 12, 24 10:26 pm     Reply with quote

Crossing the bridge from WA to OR this evening, traffic was backed up to the toll booth from I-84 WB, and all the way past China Gorge onto 35 NB. Just nuts. Never seen it like this before. 😮

It's quiet up here and there's plenty of room to camp - you know where I am now. You just have to get here before 7... 🙄

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
524 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSun Jul 14, 24 6:14 am    shear numbers Reply with quote

was there yesterday, Saturday July someteenth, and it was hard to believe my eyes. peak kiteboading numbers back in the day don't hold a candle to the winging masses

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
106 Posts
Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostSun Jul 14, 24 6:34 am     Reply with quote

I bought two of the largest Sprinters they make. Going to create a bendy-bus out of them that way I can keep all of my wings inflated and still have a full camper setup.

I might need another for all of my mountain bikes...

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
572 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 16, 24 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Ya, its been a busy one. New sports out there the last couple years equaling even more people......and cybertrucks Laughing

Im glad all the new folks to the area and sport<s> are enjoying it, but i do miss the old days

Would be super sick if we got some additional access to spread things out a bit, though i think most people will still want to be somewhere between the ES & Hook, lots of cool stuff there.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
422 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 16, 24 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Although I dread the crazy days of summer, like trying to find a parking spot anywhere close to the Waterfront Park (let alone in the actual lot), I do think its awesome for the town and the sports we enjoy. I have been in HR for 45 years, and since the moment I saw the first windsurfer roll up, the stoke has been high, and still is! We could be a washed up logging town with little income generation, or lack of interest of anyone ever wanting to visit. Instead, we have a relatively fun and beautiful place to live, with a majority of the amenities we like... just not in the peak of the season, unless you want to wait an hour for a table. So although I dread rolling down to the waterfront this time of year, not knowing from where I am going to have to hike from with my gear, the good thing is that I know in another month or so my parking space will be available back in the LJ lot. Just my take. Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
106 Posts
Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostTue Jul 16, 24 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

mikeinhoodriver wrote:
Although I dread the crazy days of summer, like trying to find a parking spot anywhere close to the Waterfront Park (let alone in the actual lot), I do think its awesome for the town and the sports we enjoy. I have been in HR for 45 years, and since the moment I saw the first windsurfer roll up, the stoke has been high, and still is! We could be a washed up logging town with little income generation, or lack of interest of anyone ever wanting to visit. Instead, we have a relatively fun and beautiful place to live, with a majority of the amenities we like... just not in the peak of the season, unless you want to wait an hour for a table. So although I dread rolling down to the waterfront this time of year, not knowing from where I am going to have to hike from with my gear, the good thing is that I know in another month or so my parking space will be available back in the LJ lot. Just my take. Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Appreciating what you have is most important. We have an awesome area here, I certainly appreciate it.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1214 Posts
Portland
BRACKISH

PostTue Jul 16, 24 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

That's it! I'm launching from the marina from now on!

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
422 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 17, 24 7:14 am     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
That's it! I'm launching from the marina from now on!

Haha, I have thought about that... gets some good OG vibes going from the 80s scene.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1299 Posts
Da Hood & Da Wood
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 17, 24 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for the first pocket wing to be spotted on the river... then everyone will be on it! (There are actually lots of old 'secret spots' long untapped from the windsnurfer daze, filled in with blackberries most likely).

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2083 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 18, 24 8:11 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
I'm just waiting for the first pocket wing to be spotted on the river... then everyone will be on it! (There are actually lots of old 'secret spots' long untapped from the windsnurfer daze, filled in with blackberries most likely).

I've always pined over the swell on the Oregon side (very close to shore) of the river directly across from Wind Mountain. There is usually a very glassy and smooth wave/swell there. I suppose one can ride it if they do the dw'er from Stevenson to the ES, Viento, Swell City. Or ride downwind to it from Stevenson, get their fill of riding it, and then riding backup wind to Stevenson.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
422 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 18, 24 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
shred_da_gorge wrote:

I've always pined over the swell on the Oregon side (very close to shore) of the river directly across from Wind Mountain. There is usually a very glassy and smooth wave/swell there. I suppose one can ride it if they do the dw'er from Stevenson to the ES, Viento, Swell City. Or ride downwind to it from Stevenson, get their fill of riding it, and then riding backup wind to Stevenson.

I stare at that every time I drive to Portland. We need to open that up again!

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
330 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostThu Jul 18, 24 1:35 pm    grumblefest Reply with quote

awright, I do appreciate the conversation turning more toward harvesting swell, and what we do-have. I gotta agree with Mike, the Gorge 2024 is spectacular, in all that it serves up. Just let me grumble...a bit about my perceived piece-uh-da-pie gettin' scarfed down by the hungry mob. Laughing

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1299 Posts
Da Hood & Da Wood
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 18, 24 11:07 pm     Reply with quote

And ya gotta admit, not a single one of those Sprinters holds a candle to your van!

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
422 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 19, 24 8:24 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
And ya gotta admit, not a single one of those Sprinters holds a candle to your van!

... exactly lol

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2586 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jul 19, 24 9:03 am     Reply with quote

What gets me is the snotty attitude of some of these people. They're rockin' up with their out of state plates and acting like they absolutely own the place. They take up parking spots so they can dwell on the shorelines letting everyone know why the conditions aren't good enough for them.

Ask them how long they are visiting for and they'll tell you, oh no, we live here. Yeah you rented a condo for July and August.

Thumb's Up

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
572 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 19, 24 10:10 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
What gets me is the snotty attitude of some of these people. They're rockin' up with their out of state plates and acting like they absolutely own the place. They take up parking spots so they can dwell on the shorelines letting everyone know why the conditions aren't good enough for them.

Ask them how long they are visiting for and they'll tell you, oh no, we live here. Yeah you rented a condo for July and August.

Thumb's Up

Agreed. To me, that just reinforces the good community vibe we have here

With that said, plenty of good people fr out of state too. Unfortunately, we have A-Holes and those are the ones we remember

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: