Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wetsuits - For Those About to....React...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
330 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostMon Jul 01, 24 11:29 am    Wetsuits - For Those About to....React... Reply with quote

I'm still gathering information on the specific allergy...but it seems that a (not inflatable) woman whom I know has an allergy to rubber. She will be getting her first wetsuit. Who's the go-to wetsuit guru in the gorge who won't leave me peel't?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4233 Posts
Camas
Site Lackey

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 01, 24 2:52 pm     Reply with quote

I saw this... No idea how well it works.

https://scubaguru.com/016-scuba-diver-magazine-and-hendersons-new-greenprene-wetsuits/

windskr

Since 31 Dec 2015
8 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 01, 24 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

What about wearing polypropylene long sleeved top and leggings? Would keep her skin from touching the wetsuit.

HH

Since 24 Jul 2014
49 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostMon Jul 01, 24 6:13 pm    Re: Wetsuits - For Those About to....React... Reply with quote

TravisBickleRex wrote:
I'm still gathering information on the specific allergy...but it seems that a (not inflatable) woman whom I know has an allergy to rubber. She will be getting her first wetsuit. Who's the go-to wetsuit guru in the gorge who won't leave me peel't?

A rubber allergy is generally to latex. If so, there is no latex in neoprene since it's synthetic and she may very well be fine. She could test it by having her wear a neoprene bootie for a little while to make sure she doesn't react.

If she knows she's had a reaction specifically to neoprene, it's most likely to one of the additives used to make neoprene - dialkyl thiourea: https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news/my-friend-neoprene-allergen-year.

If this is the case, some of the more recent non-petroleum based neoprenes (Yamamoto/limestone neoprene) may be safer. However, I'm not sure because I couldn't find specific information on what additives are used.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2083 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jul 02, 24 7:53 am     Reply with quote

windskr wrote:
What about wearing polypropylene long sleeved top and leggings? Would keep her skin from touching the wetsuit.

When I went down-under to dive in/on the Great Barrier Reef I purchased a full spandex suit to put on under my shortie because I was wary of stinging coral and the dreaded box jellyfish.

She might just have to deal with it. If so, "it puts the lotion on its skin, otherwise it gets the 'hives' again."

Good luck with the research and finding a solution.

leithaus

Since 20 Aug 2020
21 Posts
PDX

PostWed Jul 03, 24 4:55 am     Reply with quote

Agree with HH, if it is a latex/rubber allergy it should be ok as most wetsuits are not made with natural rubber.

I would see a dermatologist who specializes in eczema and/or allergic contact dermatitis. They can examine, perform biopsies, patch testing (allergy testing to the common and uncommon chemicals in her products) if she has eczematous/rashy skin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: